Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Books and Movies

One of the best parts for me about getting out the Christmas storage boxes, would have to be the books!
I am a book lover, always have been and it seems my kids have inherited the gene!
It helps that we have always read to them, but they certainly have an interest of their own and are more often than not, found sitting under their new Bookshelves (will share a photo soon) flicking through and reading to themselves.

This year, I also picked up some Christmas movies on sale in Target. I know that they air them on TV, but it never seems to be at a convenient time as our kids go to bed between 6 -6:30pm.

I thought I might do a brief run through of each book/movie, for those interested in expanding their collection and not knowing what to buy.

Below we have ;
All Dogs Christmas Carol- a cartoon , and only goes for 20 mins, a few parts were a little scary (so Stella said) but nothing major, no tears. Reminds me of Lady and the Tramp!!
Ice Age; A Mammoth Christmas- funny, short and a little different than the traditional story
Santa Claus1, 2, and 3 - I am sure everyone has seen them, they have been hammered on TV, but I love them all the same .
Our purchase for next year will be The Polar Express.


Now for our books, this collection has definately expanded over the last few years. We started out with just a few, half being ones that were already on our bookshelf, however over the past 2 years, we have added quite a few, with the help of a few Christmas parties where the present I had to take for each child was a book . ( I love this idea for Christmas parties!! Better than a toy, useless plastic stuff the kids don't need, so I try to buy our kids Christmas books , and its great as kids don't know the value of books, the difference between a $2 one and a $20 one!!)

This year I was organised enough to place an order through Book Depository. Free shipping worldwide and VERY cheap prices and an extensive range too!

The books below are as follows;
Santas Aussie Holiday- Beautiful illustrations, a bit of a long book (for the likes or 18 month olds) but great to incorporate more of an Australian element
Twenty Five December Lane- a Little whimsical, and again a bit longer (have seen this in Target just this week)
Christmas in the Mouse House (we received this through a Secret Santa Swap for my bookclub, we chose to do kids books this year and it was great) -  An amazing Lift the Flap book, where the little mice search for 12 gold stars for the Christmas tree, Stella's favourite and fantastic for counting practise aswell!
Santa's Reindeer - Not a story book, more of a informative book on Reindeers, what they eat , the Santa workshop etc. Great for older kids or for ours to look through for an insight into Santa's world!! (Bought from Book Depository last year)



Books below as follows;
The Night Before Christmas-  The traditonal verses and story, but with embossed pages and gorgeous Illustrations (bought for $9 at local IGA store)
Dear Santa- A lift the flap book, about gifts, very short and good for tired nights! ha
That's Not my Santa- A board book, textured elements on each page and Twins favourite! (Book Depository this year)
The Night Before Christmas Golden Book- Same Story but with my childish Illustrations (Local Target for a few dollars)
Santa Down Under- Short story, about how he gets around etc, (Found at book sale for 50c!)


Books below as follows;
Father Christmas Needs a Wee -  Really funny, and a counting book! (Book Depository this year)
The Night Before Christmas - Board Book, great for littlies (Crazy Clarkes)
Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer- Golden book, great for 2-3 year olds (Target few dollars)
I Love Christmas- Simple, Classic Anne Walker
Wombat Devine - Part of our Regular book reading and a beautiful tale
Mr Men 12 Days of Christmas- Counting, Christmas and typical Mr Men ( Woolworths a few years back)
Santa- Board glitter book , good for littles, short story, texture and glitter ($2 shop)


                                And a few cheap Christmas CD's, much to Noels disgust


Our book Basket, getting fuller each year! We also have our colouring in and activity books here too!


And a favourite little Christmas corner with our new little cushion from Pottery Barn Kids, Babys First Christmas, I did think it was going to be bigger, but its not, cute all the same!



                                                            I hope this has helped!!
                                                            What is your favourite?
                           Oh and "The Jolly Postman " is on its way from Grandma and Poppy for Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the books Liz, it's given me some great ideas for what my now 17 month old might like for next year! I love that your twins like the "thats not my santa book" ... my daughter absolutely loves it too! Asks for her "sasa book" (santa book) everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to read and more importantly comment on my blog. They are all so appreciated! Liz x