Sunday, June 10, 2012

Choc Bit Slice

This weekend, the weather here has been so wild and woolly, a lot of inside activities were had. One of them being some baking!
Today I whipped up this super easy slice, and yesterday it was yummy Vanilla slice, with passion fruit icing!! Not good for the figure, but good for the soul, and for the visitors that have been popping in for a cuppa!

This slice , has become a staple in our home over the years. The recipe was given to me , in the hand written cookbook ,my sister gave to us as a Wedding present. Its full of family and favourite recipes and gets used almost daily!

Each time I make it, its that little bit different, as its so easy to adapt with whatever you have in the pantry or to try something new.



No Bowl Choc Bit Slice

90g butter, melted
1 1/2 cups choc bits
1 cup mixed nuts , chopped ( I just used chopped peanuts)
1 cup sweet biscuit crumbs ( I use Milk Arrowroot's)
1 cup Shredded Coconut ( I used desiccated)
400g can Sweet Condensed Milk

*That is the basic recipe but today I have added Glace Cherries, Sultanas and slithered almonds for the top.
Other ingredients you can try are; Mixed dried fruit, oats, sunflower seeds, lollies (eeek), dried apricots

Method
Prepare your slice tray with grease paper and grease.
Pour butter into prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with biscuit crumbs
Sprinkle choc bits, coconut and nuts (and whatever else you choose to add) onto the biscuit base.
Drizzle the can of Condensed Milk over the top , covering the whole slice.
Bake in a moderate oven for about 30 mins, or until slightly browned.
Cool in the pan before cutting and refrigerate.
Enjoy

This really is so easy, and I love that it can be adapted to a healthier slice (as it can be ) or full of naughty stuff. I have given this in my Christmas gift bags  for the past few years and tend to make it for anything we go to.
I also love having a recipe that I have most of the ingredients for in the pantry, and that doesn't contain an egg, its always the times you need one, that they have run out!

I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to read and more importantly comment on my blog. They are all so appreciated! Liz x